Sunday, December 21, 2014

A Mirth Filled Solstice With a Dash of Druidry!



Yule at my house-hold is in full swing. The kidlets are stuffing themselves with candy from stockings, playing with new toys while sitting in a large pile of wrapping paper, and otherwise doing what children do on Yule morning. I made breakfast, pan cakes, and enjoyed my morning coffee while listening to Christmas music. My wife is currently sipping her coffee and playing on the floor with our youngest. Later tonight we will feast, I believe we are having rabbit in a mushroom gravy, followed by a small rite, and an evening of storytelling. This is how we get down. All and all, a good time.

I’m not sure where Druidry fits into all of this. I can certainly speak on the Craft and Paganism in this regards, at length. I mean, I am sure there are many Druids out there that are or will be doing something similar today, but speaking from a praxis perspective, I’m not sure exactly how I want to approach the solstice with Druidry. So it’s not really an uncertainty about what lore and traditions Druidry applies to this Holy Day, but an uncertainty about just how I am going to not only mark today but also to do so with a nod towards this path.

In the end, I don’t think it really matters too much. Far too often I feel people get wrapped up in semantics and forget to just celebrate with a happy dose of mirth. Well, I’m just going to go with the flow and just assume my nod towards Druidry is in there somewhere.

Outside of all that, I also wanted to share my favorite story about the Solstice. Enjoy and have a blessed Yule!


By: Ing, CoR Co-Founder and Chief Bard


The Oak King wore a crown made of deer antlers intertwined with leafy branches of oak and mistletoe bearing its white berries. The Oak King was majestic as he strode through the forest. He was following the sun, and he was finding the path colder day by day. Each time he crossed a stream, the Oak King would take a drink. Each time he did, he began to see that he was growing very old.

Soon the Oak King found it difficult to continue. His old and stiffened body could not carry him much further. As he pulled himself to the edge of a calm, clear spring, he said to himself; "Each day grows darker; soon I shall die." The ancient Oak King bent to take a drink. As he looked at his reflection, he saw ice forming on the surface of the water. The Oak King felt the darkness. The ice was closing his vital drinking space.

Just as he was failing, the Oak King looked again at his reflection in the spring. This time he saw the ice melting away. The antlered crown of the Oak King began to change. The rounded oak leaves became sharp and pointed. The white mistletoe berries became red as if the life fluids of all animals flowed into them. The Oak King lifted his head and felt the life force grow strong within him. As he looked into the unfreezing stream, this time he saw holly leaves with red berries instead of oak and mistletoe.

The former Oak King, now the Holly King, leapt from the stream bank, and pranced through the forest. He now follows the sun on its upward course. With each step the Holly King takes, he melts the ice, leaving the ground ready for the Goddess to awaken her tiny plants.

So Mote It Be!

Boide Se,

-Cuchulain Duir

1 comment: