Thursday, December 18, 2014

It’s a Crazy Balancing Act of Magickal Proportion

I’m a Devotionalist. Now what I mean by that is simple, it is someone whom actively engages in maintaining a variety of spiritual relationships. These relationships may be of fellowship with other practitioners, to one’s Gods and Goddesses, and or any other number of spirit allies. For the active Witch (or magickal practitioners), this should all make perfect sense.

Being a Devotionalist brings a lot with it. One has to attend rituals with the groups they are a member of, make regular offerings and prayers to maintain proper rapport, and otherwise engage regularly when working certain area of integration of one’s sphere. As such, sometimes we magickal people put too much on our plate alongside our other commitments; think school, family, work, etc.

One of my teachers once told me something along the lines of, “If you want to dig a deep hole, you gotta stand in one spot for a while and stop digging all over the yard.” This is ridiculously true. Since my last involvement with Druidry I have tried to stay only in the Traditional Craft Rabbit Hole, just to see how deep it goes. As such, I have gone some amazing places in my practice.

Sometimes though, depth of practice digs up relationships one does not plan on. For example, with myself anyway, I began to explore just how closely some modern Craft practices are an extension of the old grimoire traditions. There is a clear tie and I have dug in that in this hole. Exploring this and actually engaging in some of the practices has brought with it many new spiritual allies, all of which are maintained.

So what does this have to do with Druidry? Overall, it doesn’t have a whole lot. Well, except for that one thing. That one thing is me; or anyone else that has an active Devotional life. I am a VERY busy Witch, and throwing even more on top is a bit much.

This is where I am at now. I have many commitments and Druidry has got a battering ram at what is left of the door. I’ve pretty much decided the next big step for me is to find a space to set up a home-shrine. The problem, a minor one though, is finding a place. I already have plans for this weekend to rearrange the entire Temple Room to combine two altars (as a result of some recent spiritual direction) and enlarge the end result. Yet somewhere in there I need to find space, without crowding the room, to fit a place for the relationships I am building now in exploring Druidry.

Overall, it is a minor issue. Yet it illustrates a key issue. If one cannot find the physical room to dedicate to their spiritual relationships, then making nonphysical space in life will be next to impossible. It is that simple.

I’ll find a place, I am sure.

Boidh Se,

-Cuchulain Duir

No comments:

Post a Comment